Friday, December 2, 2011

Story Beginning- The Jewler

Hi! This is a beginning of a story I started at writing group and edited at my house. Enjoy and please comment because I love comments so much!
Cheers Everyone!'
nAtHaN

In the town of Liflan where magic is as common as flies and books are considered holy it is very unfortunate to be born to a family made up entirely of illiterate cobblers. So unfortunate is the case of Zoda the street urchin.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Give me that chain, Spako," said Rynheart's commanding voice.
"Will you stop calling me that!" exclaimed the apprentice angrily giving his master the chain.
"No Spako," said Rynheart putting emphasis on the nickname. "I'll call you 'dirty pond scum' if it pleases me," said Rynheart haughtily.
"I quit!" shouted the apprentice grabbing his coat before walking out of the door.
"If you leave you can't come back," called Rynheart with a tinge of regret in his voice. It was to no avail, the boy was gone. I shouldn't have pushed him so hard thought Rynheart sadly closing the wooden door.
Rynheart walked sadly into the jewel room. It was his safe house, a place where he could hide from the troubles of his life. He plucked an emerald from a velvet cushion where it glinted in the light. Its cold surface was like frozen satin under his callused fingers. He sighed putting away the jewel.
It was always hard to lose an apprentice, but even harder was the task of finding a new one to replace the old one, a boy or girl who had the Sense. He walked in to the main store from the jewel room, dusty pine floor boards creaking under his leather boots. He went to his coat hanger where he lifted up his wool jacket and moose-skin hat. He walked outside, he was met by a thin flurry of snowflakes that chilled his nose and his hands.
He pondered as he walked. How would he know if a apprentice had the Sense or not? All of his previous apprentices had been brought before him by their eager parents looking to rid themselves of a troublesome child.
His mentor had said he would just "know." Maybe that would happen.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nathan! I commented. I really like the beginning a lot. I hope you post more soon. P.S. this is Shannon.

    ReplyDelete